BUILDING CHARACTER, HEALTHY HABIT AND GOOD BEHAVIOURS

 

I get scared of one thing. I get scared of failing to build character. Maybe I may wake up one morning with a house, car, an endorsement, a job and I invest so much time in it then I forget the basis of it all, which is character. Character, habit and behaviours can be learnt, built and copied either consciously or unconsciously. It is made up of our background, environment, experiences and life. This is why I keep reading books, self-help books, I do research and study the lives of others. I learn how to be polite, kind and sensitive. Sensitive in the sense of showing empathy to people's problems. I don't take anyone unaware, I call them before I visit. I send them a text or a message to enable them be ready. I show courtesy and respect to everyone irrespective of age, body size, social status or class. After eating a meal, I say thank you to the person who prepared the meal. Good manners and character can be learnt. Be humble to amend any horrible character or behaviours you feel you have. I reflect on this a lot to avoid being a mess and making another human a mess. I don't want to feel I am superior to anyone or better than anyone. I don't want to treat anyone badly because I feel they are not privileged or opportune. I feel good manners and character has a lot to do with humility. Pride, ego, jealousy, hatred, unhealthy competition and comparison can make human character horrible.

Here are the habits I have developed so far.

  1.  I flush the toilet after use 
  2. Gratitude
  3. Drinking water first thing in the morning
  4. Washing dishes and cleaning
  5. Reading and writing daily
  6. I stopped telling everyone my problems or anything going on in my life. Sometimes you take people by surprises.
  7. Reflecting and delaying before making decisions. I don't just jump into anything.
  8. Doing what I can in any way I can.
  9. I wash the dishes after eating.
Good characters and manners I have built
  1. Saying sorry when I am wrong.
  2. Saying thank you to someone who helped me.
  3. Not suppressing anyone below me 
  4. Watching my words in public spaces.
  5. I ask for permission before taking anyone's property or items.
  6. I listen
  7. I don't transfer aggression on people.
  8. I don't use abusive words on people when offended.
  9. I communicate, I don't assume.
  10. I don't compare anyone to another.
  11. I help out, I don't gossip or criticize.
  12. I don't get bitter for too long.
  13. I give a call before I visit anyone.
  14. I compliment people

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOGS I LOVE READING

Everyday Gratitude

WORK GIVES FULFILLMENT